Part 6 - Into the Paint Booth

poorpackaging.jpg

My paints and tools arrived, and I noticed one box was wet on a corner. As soon as I picked it up to move it away from my front door, a stream of clear liquid poured from the box and onto my uniform. I immediately cut open the box to see if this was a cleaner or the clear coat, and was disappointed to see that it was the clear. They had it in a ziplock bag, half filled with its own fluid, inside of a box that had been packed in another box.

While I waited for my replacement to show, I began to prep the Jeep for paint, stripping the Jeep of all removable parts and peeling off the decals. The paint on the Jeep was original and in good condition, leading me to feel comfortable with simply spraying an epoxy primer over it and painting on top of that. I didn’t see the need to sand a good quality, factory applied paint job down to bare metal. However, my plasti-dip job had to go. They advertise it as just peeling off, but apparently that’s only if it’s fresh. Outside in the elements, in the 100°+ temps and bright sunlight, mine lost that ability. Instead I sprayed it down with GooGone and rubbed it away, returning the Jeep to it’s natural Khaki tan. It wouldn’t last, as I quickly began sanding, scuffing the original paint enough for the primer to stick.

More prep work occurred in the garage, hanging plastic sheeting to protect the walls and other items I had. For ventilation, I set up a couple of box fans to blow fumes out of the space. And finally, I began to mask the Jeep.

With everything prepped, I zipped up my paint suit, loaded my gun, and started to spray.

primer grey jeep.jpg
primer.jpg

Despite a few trial passes on some scraps of cardboard, I laid the primer on a too thick in spots. The garage was hot and humid, causing me to rush, and in return the paint ran in places. Where I could, I attempted to sand it out, but some spots were hard to sand around.

 
paint runs.jpg
 

Fully primed, I changed tips on the gun, loading it up with the Sand Beige, and set to add the color. Having sprayed too much primer, I tweaked the gun some so it’d put out a little less paint. With the base color added, I could start masking out the stripes and numbers.

 
masking for stripes.jpg
 

I poured in a can of the Performance Red, and started spraying once more. Maybe it was because the Sand Beige was so similar in color to the white primer under the poor garage lighting that caused me to add so many coats, but the red paint went on quickly in comparison.

 
Jurassic Park Jeep in paint booth.jpg
 

With the Jeep painted, I removed the masking and backed the vehicle out into the driveway to begin reassembling it.

Jacob Mast